Muhammad moved to Finland to study, as there was no tuition fee for a master’s programme at the time and he felt that education was of good quality here. When asked how he got his current job, he states that he relentlessly sent out job applications online and didn’t give up. He also advises that it pays to keep your skills up to date with market needs, even if it means doing volunteer work or hobby projects.
1. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… how systematic and modernised everything is in Finland. Finns have figured out how to put technology to the best use and optimise resources with the least amount of waste.
2. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… the social aspect of it. People are way too formal at workplace and a little easing up wouldn’t hurt.
3. My favourite thing about Finland is… nature. Be it summer or snow time, Finland’s pristine flora and fauna never cease to amaze me.
4. The piece of advice I would give to someone contemplating coming to work in Finland is… to be hungry and humble. Hungry to always learn new things and humble to acknowledge your ignorance.
5. The Finnish word that best describes working here is… tuloksekas (fruitful). People are very focused and honest with their jobs, and productivity and efficiency is on the high end.