10 Questions: Anna Eriksson
- What do you do first when you wake up?
I give my son a good morning kiss.
- What was your dream profession as a child?
I wanted to become a ballet dancer.
- Your debut film M saw the light of day at the Critics’ Week section of the Venice Film Festival. What kind of experience was the production process as a whole?
It was such hard work! Making a film independently really takes patience and dedication. Nonetheless, I’ve never been as inspired about anything as I was about M.
- You directed, starred, narrated, edited and composed the music for the film. The film’s Marilyn Monroe-inspired character M is played by you as well. What was your drive behind telling this story?
Well, I was obsessed about this project. As with any other art project, it takes time to take its shape, and with M it took almost five years. Marilyn Monroe was the inspiration for the film, but no more than that. It is not a story about Monroe, but rather a dive into my own subconscious and the Monroe I found there was rather surprising!
- Was there a pivotal moment when you decided to follow your passion for film-making?
I can’t say there was a pivotal moment. Film is just a medium for me and I don’t consider myself a director, but rather an artist.
- During the summer, you performed at festivals after a five-year break. What brought you back to music?
I love to perform. It is a huge part of what I am. I love singing, so I’m sure I will be performing every once in a while.
- You have had a significant career as an artist, musician and composer. Is there something you feel you have not accomplished as yet?
There are so many things I want to do!! I think I have just found my artistic freedom and feel that there is so much to look forward to.
- How do you relax?
I’m not that good at relaxing, hahhhaaaa! Trying to relax makes me tense. Fishing, cooking and spending time with family and friends bring me closest to relaxing.
- If you could go back in time and give your teenage self a piece of advice, what would it be?
I would tell her the same things I’m still telling myself every day! Not to take everything so seriously and…relax. It works for approximately ten seconds!
- What is the one item you would take with you to a deserted island?
A fishing rod of course! There’s plenty of time to fish on a deserted island!
Photo: Matti Pyykkö
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter