Yaro initially moved here nearly four years ago when he was 18 to pursue his bachelor’s degree in business administration. After graduation, he has been able to forge a career with a combination of networking and developing-specific skills that met the needs of the market.
1. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… the transparency and super-low hierarchy. I was amazed and super inspired by the way most companies function here in terms of these aspects.
2. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… the high coffee consumption. I got addicted to coffee in the mornings after working here for two years.
3. My favourite things about Finland are… definitely opportunities and the startup scene. I find Finland to be a super tech-savvy and innovative nation that has a great presence in the global tech scene, especially SaaS.
4. How I got my current job is… because I’ve been building my CV and competences from day one in Finland. I managed to build a set of hard and soft skills (through work, projects and studies) that are in demand in the job market in my field.
The step that defined my career was sending a job application email to my current boss two minutes before boarding a plane to come back from a business trip. I had the interview the next day.
5. The piece of advice I would give to someone contemplating coming to work in Finland is… consume enough vitamin D during the “dark” times and network like never before once here.
We are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.