My Career: From Start to Finnish
Boundless opportunities and the startup scene here appeal to Yaro
Yaro Shevtsov, Russia. Growth manager
“Network like never before.”
Yaro initially moved here nearly four years ago when he was 18 to pursue his bachelor’s degree in business administration. After graduation, he has been able to forge a career with a combination of networking and developing-specific skills that met the needs of the market.
1. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… the transparency and super-low hierarchy. I was amazed and super inspired by the way most companies function here in terms of these aspects.
2. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… the high coffee consumption. I got addicted to coffee in the mornings after working here for two years.
3. My favourite things about Finland are… definitely opportunities and the startup scene. I find Finland to be a super tech-savvy and innovative nation that has a great presence in the global tech scene, especially SaaS.
4. How I got my current job is… because I’ve been building my CV and competences from day one in Finland. I managed to build a set of hard and soft skills (through work, projects and studies) that are in demand in the job market in my field.
The step that defined my career was sending a job application email to my current boss two minutes before boarding a plane to come back from a business trip. I had the interview the next day.
5. The piece of advice I would give to someone contemplating coming to work in Finland is… consume enough vitamin D during the “dark” times and network like never before once here.