My Career: From Start to Finnish
Daniel from the US appreciates the straight talk in Finland
Daniel McMullen, USA. Trainer, actor and voiceover artist
“People respect your space and give you room to breathe.”
1. I currently work as a… beginning entrepreneur and I am creating a business that draws on my extensive background in engineering and acting. I want to create relaxed learning environments interworking with improvisation techniques that stimulate each of my engineering clients’ natural creativity to explore, practise and develop their communication skills.
2. The reason I ended up in Finland is… love and adventure. I met my Finnish wife in the US while we were walking our dogs, and after being together just over a year-and-a-half she asked if I wanted to move to Finland. I had always wanted to experience living in another country. 17 years and three kids later, I’m still here and a citizen as well.
3. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… straight “right to business” talk – I really appreciate this now, yet it still sometimes catches me off guard. Though seemingly rude, getting right to the point is efficient, effective and really friendly as it is respectful of a person’s time.
4. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… This isn’t only a Finnish working-life thing: genuinely thank a person for a job well done. It’s not boastful to be appreciated for good work.
5. My favourite thing about Finland is… the space, peace and quiet. People respect your space and give you room to breathe – I never thought this would be something important for me until those times I am away from Finland and end up missing the quiet so much!