• News
  • People
  • Long Read
  • Opinion
  • Weekend Wrap

Breaking News

Small Giant Games is a big deal for Zynga

Small Giant Games’ runaway hit Empires & Puzzles has been downloaded over 26 million times.Screenshot/Small Giant Games

Finnish game studio Small Giant Games is set to be acquired by US-based social game developer Zynga for 610 million euros.

Zynga will first acquire 80 per cent of Small Giant Games in a transaction expected to be closed on 1 January 2019. It then plans to purchase the remaining 20 per cent over the next three years.

Founded in 2013, Small Giant Games is a Helsinki-based game developer behind the hit franchise Empires & Puzzles. The game has been downloaded more than 26 million times and has repeatedly made it into the top 10 grossing games on Google Play Store and Apple App Store.

“Our studio was founded on the idea that small, skilful teams can accomplish giant things, and I am confident that partnering with Zynga is the right next step in our evolution,” said Timo Soininen, CEO of Small Giant Games. “We will now operate as a separate studio within Zynga, maintaining our identity, culture and creative independence. By leveraging the expertise and support from the wider Zynga team, we will amplify the reach of Empires & Puzzles and the new games in our development pipeline.”

Published on 21.12.2018