10 Questions: Ryan Zhu
- What are you up to when not living in an airport?
I am an actor, so I am normally working on set for various projects.
- What made you want to participate in this campaign?
I found this programme very creative and challenging. I am always looking for new life experiences and something I haven’t tried before.
- How did you prepare for this experience?
Before I came out to Helsinki, I read some things about Finnish culture and traditions on the Internet and learned some greeting words. I also tried to prepare well mentally.
- How did you spend your days at the airport?
There is a daily task that we filmed where I make friends, look for delicious food and tried all kinds of services here.
- What was the biggest challenge with living at the airport?
Sleep. I was always woken up by the broadcast and passengers that passed by in the middle of the night. The kids came and knocked on the door and wondered if there was a person living inside the cabin (at the airport) for real.
- Have you learnt any Finnish?
I have picked up some words like moi (hello), moi moi (goodbye), kiitos (thank you), and rakastan sinua (I love you).
- What did you know about Finland before going on this adventure?
My knowledge about Finland was based on the information on the Internet. I googled about the weather, villages in Lapland, reindeer and the Northern Lights there.
- Have you tried any Finnish delicacies? Any favourites?
Yes. I have tried so many different types of Finnish food here. My favourite one would be the reindeer meat burger. It is soft and a little bit sour which represents ‘Finnish’ flavours.
- One could say you’ll soon be an expert in layovers – any tips as to how to make time go faster whilst waiting for boarding?
There are many things you can do here. For example, you can kill time by reading in the lounge, enjoying sauna and a massage.
- You’ve been involved in numerous projects throughout your career. What would you most want to be remembered for?
I cherish many of my previous experiences. But so far it is this project that I would like to keep in mind deeply. It has been a really fun and unique programme to be part of. We have created many great episodes. They will help me to remember my time here.