10 Questions: Anna-Julia Kontio
- What’s your unmissable breakfast item?
- When did you know that you wanted to become a professional equestrian?
My dream was always to become a professional rider.
- You have recently joined an international show jumping team – Team Harmony. How does this feel?
It was really great to get this offer to ride for HRH Princess Haya and Team Harmony.
- What would you say is your best asset as an equestrian?
A natural feel for horses and discipline with myself as an athlete.
- What is your number one tip for someone who would like to try show jumping?
Learn from your mistakes and never give up.
- In Finland, we are proud of our Finnhorses. What is your favourite breed and why?
I don’t really have a favourite breed; every horse is an individual as are we as humans.
- Besides riding, you also work as a coach. How do you prepare the youngsters before competitions?
Confidence is the key, whether you know little or a lot – be aware of your strengths and use them. Other than that, there is something to learn every day. I try to encourage others and myself to have a good balance between being confident and humble.
- Who has had the most influence on your life? Why?
- As you have been living for long periods all around Europe, what is the thing you miss the most about Finland whilst living abroad?
I miss my sister’s three children every day. Other than that, I try not to be homesick as I have chosen my way and I have to live abroad for the sport. But when I’m in Finland, I enjoy every moment and everything. It’s my home country and I’m very proud of it.
- What is your perfect getaway location?
Ylöjärvi, in Finland, or a sunny holiday at the beach.
Photo: Team Harmony