My career: From start to Finnish
Zeynep Falay von Flittner, Turkey
1. The reason I ended up in Finland is… to do my MA degree in international design business management. I chose Finland because of its innovative approach to design education. However, the reason why I have stayed in Finland is that I met my husband at the university.
2. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… that the majority of the people do their work excellently and always deliver what they promise. In many other countries you need to follow up and motivate people to get jobs done.
3. My favourite thing about Finland is that… the values driving the society are almost utopian when you look from the outside: honesty, transparency, trust, hard work, fairness, equality. Finnish people need to understand that many things they take for granted are extremely special – we promote these proudly on international platforms.
4. How I got my current job is… I was following workplaces I was most interested in working at. When the right time came, I approached them proactively and convinced them that I would be a valuable addition to their team.
5. The piece of advice I would give to someone contemplating coming to work in Finland is… understand the Finnish values clearly and adapt to them. Also understand and communicate your own unique strengths which complement the Finnish culture.
We are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter.