My career: From start to Finnish
Ryan Lumb, UK
CEO of a brewing company
1. My initial expectations of Finland were… that I would have a good way of life that is safe with good social benefits. Over the last 15 years, Finland has become a lot more European and multicultural. But it still has a way to go.
2. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… the critical role that summer workers play in the working society. This is not maybe something I have seen so commonly in the past.
3. How I got my current job is… by starting my own company.
4. The Finnish word that best describes working here is… tehokas (efficient), because efficiency is key due to high staff costs.
5. The piece of advice I would give to someone contemplating coming to work in Finland is… be ready to learn the language. Don’t be shy; the Finns themselves may be seen as being shy, but they appreciate a good chat like the next person.
We are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter.