My career: From start to Finnish
Michele Pelkonen, USA
International support specialist
1. The reason I ended up in Finland is… I married a Finn. We met online and knew each other for nearly 10 years before it became official.
2. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… how flexible and concerned for the overall wellbeing of the worker companies seem to be. And the amount of holiday time is astounding!
3. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… more communication between employer and employee. I’d like to know better when I am moving in the right direction. But overall, I am very satisfied and happy with my work life.
4. My favourite thing about Finland is… I absolutely love the sauna culture! And public transportation is amazing. As an American who gave up her car when she came here, I don’t miss it given how good the public transportation is.
5. How I got my current job is… LinkedIn. I saw an ad on Facebook and, when I clicked on it, I saw I could just link my LinkedIn account and not have to fill out an application. I did that. Two weeks and four interviews later, I was working.
We are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter.