My career: From start to Finnish
Martina Salonen, Czech Republic
1. The reason I ended up in Finland is… ironically, that I wanted to improve my German language and I love mountains and downhill skiing; so I went to Austria, where I met my Finnish husband. Well, now I’ve been here already for seven years, improving my Finnish and cross-country skiing. Close enough!
2. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… the informality especially in communication and clothing: never using titles or surnames and wearing sweatpants is fine.
3. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… lower the ‘wall’ between work and private life.
4. My favourite thing about Finland is… honesty and the fact that you can count on people, libraries and rye bread.
5. How I got my current job is… I simply applied for an open position. Well, for me to actually get it, I think it was essential that I had learnt Finnish in quite a short time in addition to having the right degree, good references and relevant experience.
We are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter.