My career: From start to Finnish
June Yeoh Karjalainen, Malaysia
China & Southeast Asia business consultant
1. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… annual paid leave, which never happens in Asia. As a mother of a young child, it has been easy to find work-life balance.
2. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… to learn more about other cultures to serve international customers better and take some risks to learn new things.
3. My favourite thing about Finland is… sauna, and swimming naked in the lake. All this is impossible to do in Malaysia. I really love this.
4. My best tip for surviving winter in Finland is… do winter sports like cross-country skiing, ice skating, ice fishing and ice swimming. I am doing these activities every winter in Lahti.
5. The piece of advice I would give to someone contemplating coming to work in Finland is… if you are looking for a sustainable place to further your studies or career, Finland is the best country because of the fair system, equal working life and cleanest environment here. You always have the right to share your feelings and your thoughts. You pay taxes, but you get to enjoy social welfare benefits which are much higher than in many countries.
We are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter.