My career: From start to Finnish
Farhana Fayez, Saudi Arabia
SAP technical consultant
1. I currently work as… a SAP technical consultant at one of Finland’s biggest IT service and software corporations.
2. The reason I ended up in Finland is… to pursue my engineering degree, as many others do. At that point, I was sceptical about staying longer, but little did I know I was going fall in love with this place enough to call it home (even in the cold, dark November months).
3. What I find surprising about working in Finland is… transparency, flat hierarchy and the lack of honorifics. Yet, the respect and honour you get here as an employee regardless of the position you are in your career is incredible.
4. If I could change one thing about Finnish working life it would be… improving the readiness to provide feedback, as we are not always so upfront about this in our daily work life.
5. My favourite thing about Finland is… berry picking during summer time. Also, the fact that it is okay not to make small talk, which gives me more time to utilise this energy elsewhere.
In this new series, we are getting to know what people born abroad think about working life in Finland.
Looking for more good news? Subscribe to our newsletter.